Perhaps the animosity is coming from people who have already been down this road and found it to be a waste of time, mostly. The mounts available are generally not very good, especially the dust cover types. They will all shoot loose fairly quick, even quicker with big heavy scopes.
The 4x PSOP scope with integral base would from the looks of it be way too tall on an SKS. Elsewhere I read it was primarily designed to be the right height for flattop AR's in 7.62x39.
The other two would be ok IF the mount would stay tight, which in my experience it won't for long without permanent mods to the rifle.
The Choate side mount COULD POSSIBLY be made stable IF it were mounted with 8-40 screws then pinned and soft soldered. However this depends on the receiver sidewall thickness and the owners willingness to permanently modify the rifle.
Another thing I learned through experience is that those $100 cheapie hunting scopes and semi-autos don't play well together. It takes a pretty good scope to stand up to the dual recoil forces created by an auto loader.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.