The V, P and something are in a vertical stack on the side of the barrel near the receiver with a N on top of the barrel. The cleaning rod as seen in 6th picture is pretty much even with the end of the barrel, the other picture it is the angle that make it look to far in, but it doesn't have any rings on the base of it (opposite end from the slot end)
Sounds totally rebuilt, which is fine to me, I didn't buy it as a collector piece I bought it as a shooter to go with my repro Carbine. I am not planning to redo it at all. Plan to shoot it with BP sometimes and Trail Boss usually

I was told by a local dealer and Sharps shooter that the bayonet is correct, so that is something at least.

Do you think I over paid for it at $450 (with bayonet) ? I only wanted to pay $400 but got talked into $450 to help the owner at the end of his life. It may not have been a deal but I hope it is about where it should be
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.