Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Hybrid View

Last On
    07-28-2020 @ 09:41 PM
    Local Date
    05-25-2024
    Local Time
    02:35 PM
    While I hate to disagree with Capt. Laidlericon, I would respectfully suggest that the folks that have put down information in a book are often times limited by the need to cover a lot of material in a reasonable space. I think we would all have loved to have Major Reynolds posting Like Capt. Laidler does, what would he have posted with his background. What one can put into a write up is limited by the requirement to have a readable narrative. If you get too detailed, you will lose folks for example few folks are all that interested in the 29 possible variations of the front band assembly for the No4 rifle, including the original finish by year and factory, as well as various FTR and field/depot finishes.

Actually I can see that now, a full book called "the No4 Front Band Assembly, 1925 to 1989" with separate chapters on all of the UKicon, North American makers and rare versions such as Khyber pass and Indian refurbished ones. Milled stamped, fabricated with welds, all covered in detail. With chapters on how to tell the various finish originality by spectrographic light tests. Copies of each contract let out to UK manufacturers, as well as the variations allowed in the steel. A special chapter on the requirements for the band screw, its variations and a heat treating specs. Pictures of each of the factories or where they were located. Of course you would also need estimates on the manufacturer quantity of each and every band. I am sure a good basic book could be put together in ~300 pages and I am sure at least 11 copies could be sold in the US market alone. Of course 6 month later someone will come up with a duralumin band that sparks a new debate and the book will by then be seen as "dated" on the basis of new information.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by Frederick303; 06-01-2015 at 04:36 PM.

2. The Following 3 Members Say Thank You to Frederick303 For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread