+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Primer 014: Ross Rifle Mark III (by C&Rsenal)

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Hybrid View

Last On
    06-18-2024 @ 12:08 AM
    Local Date
    06-20-2024
    Local Time
    05:20 PM
    The most serious problems with the Ross mkiii(1910) are related to the small bolt stop which bore only against the segmented part of the bolt head. and the segmented bolt head itself, great swept lug area, but is it really necessary?
    In addition, there is very limited support for the bolt body by the receiver.

Both of these issues were exasperated by improper heat treatment (soft) of the bolt heads followed by the emergency program to Re harden (cyanide quench) the existing bolt heads in the UKicon by dragoon ed troops, resulting in brittle bolts...

Close examination of most 1910 bolt lugs will show deformation or cracking on the left rear lug where it impacts the bolt stop.

I have 2 Ross 1910s, one which is smooth as snot, the other is "sticky" and the bolt has slight deformation, swapping bolts between the 2 guns moves the stickiness problem to the other gun.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

Last On
    06-18-2024 @ 06:01 PM
    Local Date
    06-20-2024
    Local Time
    06:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Enfield View Post
    The most serious problems with the Ross mkiii(1910) are related to the small bolt stop which bore only against the segmented part of the bolt head. and the segmented bolt head itself, great swept lug area, but is it really necessary?
    In addition, there is very limited support for the bolt body by the receiver.

Both of these issues were exasperated by improper heat treatment (soft) of the bolt heads followed by the emergency program to Re harden (cyanide quench) the existing bolt heads in the UKicon by dragoon ed troops, resulting in brittle bolts...

Close examination of most 1910 bolt lugs will show deformation or cracking on the left rear lug where it impacts the bolt stop.

I have 2 Ross 1910s, one which is smooth as snot, the other is "sticky" and the bolt has slight deformation, swapping bolts between the 2 guns moves the stickiness problem to the other gun.
    You might want to check a few more than two bolts before you come to this conclusion.

Most bolts you will see are fine.

I`m not saying it does not happen. I have seen a few over the years, but most I`ve checked are in great shape and I have checked a pile of them including commercial M-10s and even a Home Guard which have the small bolt stop.
    It is one of the first things I look for.

The problem they had 100 years ago was the bolt heads were soft because they had the wrong carbon content. The fix made them brittle.

I would think most of those are long gone.

Sometimes the bolt will be sticky because it is dirty or worn internally.
    Last edited by Ax.303; 04-19-2016 at 02:08 AM.

3. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
+ Reply to Thread