I went and tried to zero the rifle. Initial shooting indicated way high group at 100yds. but a good centered one none the less which made me happy alleviating fear that I had the barrel clocked way off. I switched the fs blade to a taller one .090 that I believed would get me where I wanted to be and switched the back sight at the same time to the one that is knob adjustable. I believed the aperture on the adjustable model at 200 and the higher front blade would do it because of the original flip type back sight appeared to set a little higher by eye when rotated to 300. I though I had it without going through to much difficulty and was wrong.
I was able to study a few other examples of no4 rifles and they wore FS blades marked in the range of .045 so now Im concerned now that something that I've done and Ill have to make my own sight blade. Im thinking im not going to be able to find a blade from all the vendors I looked at online unless I can speak to somebody. Point of impact and group size is consistent even when shooting a few groups at a time in higher than average heat so reasonably confident I have the bedding close to the way it should be. I'm going to try and follow the method by Rifle Chair on the site to get a better idea of what is happening and keep collecting brass and then start with a minimum charge to see what effect takes place. Enjoying this one tremendously because what a nice shooting and handling design, I want to just be around the point of aim better at 100 to 200 yds.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.