So the new barrel is on. After applying a light coating of lube, I hand threaded the barrel into the receiver. Then, using the action wrench, I was able to turn it about halfway to where it would be indexed correctly. A few moderate taps with a mallet on the action wrench brought it into rough alignment and I used the extractor cut out in the barrel and receiver as a rough estimate as to where it needed to be turned.

After getting it approximated in the vise, I pulled it and got it indexed as close as I possibly could determine. I ended up using multiple points of reference, first between the Knox form and receiver flat and then between the charger bridge and back sight with the leaf temporarily in place. Eventually I got it to a point that, as best I could determine, the barrel was level with the receiver. Fortunately, this barrel came with the sight bases already attached, so I did not need to mess with collimating them.

I checked headspace using a modified feeler gauge that would fit in the space for extractor in the receiver. With the bolt stripped except for the body and bolt head I checked headspace and found it to be about 68-69 thousandths.