Not entirely gunsmithing but I figure its the best place to ask.

I have one SMLE Butt-stock and one MLE Fore-end here each with cracks that need repairing.

The SMLE butt-stock seems to have gotten a hard bump from the rear and cracked both sides around originating from the rear. Now I remember hearing that to fix cracks you have drill a hole at the tip of the crack and plug it with another piece of wood, but in this case were the cracks likely extend into the inside of the butt-stock holes I can imagine making those inside surfaces good would be near impossible, and the glue going everywhere... yay. That is if that is even the right way to fix a crack.
Attachment 94316Attachment 94317Attachment 94318

Next is the MLE fore-end: Its got a crack down the middle where the little curved block holes the two sides together, but the brass plug on one side is missing letting the pin moving freely and the two sides of the stock move as they please (I assume firing the rifle with this missing is what cause the split in the first place). Now I can glue the little crack up, but while missing the brass plug for one side I don't know how I could stop it from cracking again. I could always just take it out entirely, drill the whole bigger and just dowel peg it, but that'll make it less 'MLE-ish'. How impossible would it be to find and fit one of this little things, or is there another fix for it, or should I just dowel it?
Attachment 94319Attachment 94320Attachment 94321

Cheers for any help, now I gotta go back and clean off my bench, yay.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.