Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Hybrid View

Last On
    Yesterday @ 11:41 AM
    Local Date
    06-01-2024
    Local Time
    05:33 PM
    Krags are super simple to change barrels on.
    I had one Kragicon that the chamber was drilled out of to “deactivate” it.

I removed that barrel and put on another used one that indexed perfectly. I went cheap and after a couple years decided I didn’t like the bore. Bought another barrel and it too indexed perfectly.

They were made for such a short period of time and by true masters that part interchangeability is truly amazing.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

Last On
    Yesterday @ 10:22 AM
    Local Date
    06-01-2024
    Local Time
    06:33 PM
    'rcathey' - Was that your photo of the 'stressed' .30-40 cartridge-case, that I took the liberty of using? (Thanks, for posting it on the KCA site, long ago).

What kind of "barrel-vise" do you use? (With the "clocked" or "timed" threads, original U.S. Kragicon barrels seem to be easily switched or replaced).

FWIW - Maybe the OP's front-sight blade was left off as a warning "not to fire", because of an altered barrel/chamber?

3. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    Last On
    Yesterday @ 11:41 AM
    Local Date
    06-01-2024
    Local Time
    05:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by butlersrangers View Post
    'rcathey' - Was that your photo of the 'stressed' .30-40 cartridge-case, that I took the liberty of using? (Thanks, for posting it on the KCA site, long ago).

What kind of "barrel-vise" do you use? (With the "clocked" or "timed" threads, original U.S. Kragicon barrels seem to be easily switched or replaced).

FWIW - Maybe the OP's front-sight blade was left off as a warning "not to fire", because of an altered barrel/chamber?
    Mine was VERY obvious that it had been drilled out. They used a drill bit big enough to make a tiny knick in the receiver.

I made a vise pretty much exactly like this one. If you have the tools to do so, it’s about half the cost of buying one.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1006552312

Last On
    Yesterday @ 10:22 AM
    Local Date
    06-01-2024
    Local Time
    'ssgross' - That is a good sign if your chamber will not quite accept a .303 Britishicon cartridge-case.

I will be quite happy if my suspicions prove totally wrong. If the chamber is good, your bore likely will be a decent shooter.

You did a very good job photographing your bore and chamber. My results were nowhere as clear as yours. (I likely was 'fooled' by your photo and saw 'chatter marks' and what appear to be 'straight' chamber walls).

FWIW - OP's chamber (left) compared with a detached barrel's chamber (right):

Attachment 110442Attachment 110443
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 08-07-2020 at 04:01 PM.

6. Thank You to butlersrangers For This Useful Post:

Last On
    Today @ 01:40 PM
    Local Date
    06-01-2024
    Local Time
    Thanks, I used my cell phone for that chamber pic. I couldn't get the rifling to show in the pic from the chamber end, but I could see it with my eyes. looks the same as the muzzle end.
    I have pics from my borecam after cleaning with jb paste and kroil. I'm almost ashamed to show them. looks like a sewer line up close But looking down barrel with a nice bright light makes makes it look much more promising.
    I was reading on here about how easy it is to twist the action when pulling a barrel, and the need for the proper wrench.
    The wooden barrel vice at midway got me thinking...since the receiver ring is perfectly round, could an effective, perfect fitting action wrench be made the same way? cut a proper sized hole in a block of oak, same thickness as the collars length, and cut in half. tap the top metal bar stock for a length of pipe, or bolt/weld a handle to it (probably with a recess on in the wood blocks top side).
    Wouldn't such an action wrench, with rosin in the hole in the wood, provide a perfect fit?
    What are all of you using for Kragicon action wrenches?

+ Reply to Thread