Quote Originally Posted by Daan Kemp View Post
You would have to research average European size since 1900, as that will give you the soldier's sizes too. From memory the average WWI Britishicon Soldier was about 5'2" and the average upper class, due to better diet, about 5'6". IIRC the average upped about 2" in WWII.

Lee Enfield butt sizes also give you an indication, as the L butt is usually too short for us. The S is really short.

Uniform sizes also give some information. Specifications for vehicle development might also be helpful. I know when South Africa started building armoured cars based on the Frenchicon Panhard we lengthened the front by some half a meter to fit our soldiers.
If those averages are similar to Americans at the time, I understand why this stuff is so small. I have a small friend and put the backpack on him and it fit wonderfully. I'm 5'10", average height for my age group is 5'7"

I think by WWII Americans were starting to pull away from Europe height wise do to better access to food during the depression etc. I don't think the difference was ever huge during the same time period but over time it apparently is.