Today @ 10:51 AM
    Real Name
    Eric
    Local Date
    09-20-2024
    Local Time
    01:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by USGI View Post
    The exposed lead on FMJ is at the back of the bullet. I believe a small amount of it would be vaporized and possibly could enter the gas system. The Speer .30 Carbine FMJ 110g bullets don't have any lead exposed. - Bob
    On FMJ it surely is, but there is a roll over at the base of the bullet so the outside diameter of the bullet can't possibly touch the bore. However all standard .30 Carbine bullets (and almost all FMJ bullets) have exposed lead in the back. I've never heard of the problem in any other gas operated firearm firing FMJ bullets. And, I'll mention again that the very bullets I had the issue with were gas checked cast wheel weight bullets. Again, saving a few cents a bullet just isn't that important to me. I shoot lead and lead gas checked bullets in all sorts of firearms, and the only one that had ever an issue was the M1icon Carbine.

Edit: I'm reminded that when Ruger was producing the .44 Magnum "Deerfield" Carbine it specifically states in the manual to NOT fire lead bullets but only jacked bullets in the carbine as lead can/will end up in the gas system. I have to find the manual and check but I'm pretty sure it was also mentioned as a warranty issue that Ruger was not responsible for damage or problems if the warning of "proper" ammunition was ignored.
    Last edited by eb in oregon; 09-23-2021 at 10:34 AM.
    "You are what you do when it counts."