BAR, thank you for that link. So our friends North of the Border may have been the location of it's restoration, then possibly imported by Century? I guess it would not be too hard to have a stock set shipped into the U.S.? Seems odd Century would somehow pick up a restored rifle and then import it, unless it somehow ended up as part of a larger collection of Lee Enfields?

Where is it more likely this sort of restoration would have been done by hobbiests? Englandicon, Canadaicon or even the U.S.? I am not used to see many or ANY restored rifles, to this condition and standard in the U.S.??

The bore of this rifle is excellent. Smooth, shiny with little perceptible wear. Were there stocks of new, surplus barrels at some point, after the war? No rifle could make it from 1915 to 2000 without some corrosion, pitting or wear could it?

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 PM ----------

I have always understood this to be a restored rifle, and not by any military depot, but by a hobbiest. I don't mind that at all. I have owned "sporterized" version of several WWII rifles. They are what they are and I accepted their limitations ( as collectables) and just enjoyed shooting them.

But this bird has always struck me as beautiful and odd at the same time. I never could bring myself to shoot it, for fear of damaging any part of it. It is almost too sterile. It has beauty and character, but only in the eyes of a few.

Trying to eventually put a market value on it.

---------- Post added at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Daan Kemp View Post
The No 1 has been worked on a lot, the wood fit is very [too] good, metal redone. I agree with BAR, the wood is too light for a No 1 but never say never for an LE.

Thank you for your reply. I know the wood is a very odd color. Not military by any stretch. But I love the orange tint to an otherwise perfect wood set with no dings, dents or damage. That dang shiny brass butt plate always dazzles me as well. Why has it not tarnished over the years?