Advisory Panel
    Last On
    @
    Local Date
    09-23-2024
    Local Time
    02:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by browningautorifleicon View Post
    Thing that perplexes me is how they made it all the way up here to our prairies
    From a AP story Nov 2023

In Canadaicon, the wild pigs roaming Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba pose a new threat. They are often crossbreeds that combine the survival skills of wild Eurasian boar with the size and high fertility of domestic swine to create a “super pig” that’s spreading out of control.

Ryan Brook, a professor at the University of Saskatchewan and one of Canada’s leading authorities on the problem, calls feral swine, “the most invasive animal on the planet” and “an ecological train wreck.”

Canada’s problem dates back only to the 1980s when it encouraged farmers to raise wild boar, Brook said. The market collapsed after peaking in 2001 and some frustrated farmers simply cut their fences, setting the animals free.

It turned out that the pigs were very good at surviving Canadian winters. Smart, adaptable and furry, they eat anything, including crops and wildlife. They tear up land when they root for bugs and crops. They can spread devastating diseases to hog farms like African swine fever. And they reproduce quickly. A sow can have six piglets in a litter and raise two litters in a year.

That means 65% or more of a wild pig population could be killed every year and it will still increase, Brook said. Hunting just makes the problem worse, he said. The success rate for hunters is only about 2% to 3% and several states have banned hunting because it makes the pigs more wary and nocturnal — tougher to track down and eradicate.

Hard-to-eradicate ‘super pigs’ in Canada threaten to invade the US | AP News
    Charlie-Painter777

A Country Has No Greater Responsibility Than To Care For Those Who Served...

Advisory Panel browningautorifle's Avatar
    Last On
    Today @ 10:08 AM
    Real Name
    Jim
    Local Date
    09-23-2024
    Local Time
    11:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by painter777 View Post
    Canadaicon’s problem dates back only to the 1980s when it encouraged farmers to raise wild boar, Brook said. The market collapsed after peaking in 2001 and some frustrated farmers simply cut their fences, setting the animals free.
    Why in the F@ck would anyone do that? The height of stupidity...tap them between the eyes and dig a trench with the front end loader. A farmer should know better... Unbelievable...
    Regards, Jim

3. Thank You to browningautorifle For This Useful Post:

4. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    Last On
    09-21-2024 @ 01:24 PM
    Local Date
    09-23-2024
    Local Time
    01:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by painter777 View Post
    ...... and several states have banned hunting because it makes the pigs more wary and nocturnal — tougher to track down and eradicate.
    Other than helicopter hunting the vast amount of hog culling, at least in Texas goes on at night which by the other states' reasoning should make the hogs diurnal. It hasn't so one has to wonder if the ban isn't for other reasons.

6. The Following 2 Members Say Thank You to Sapper740 For This Useful Post:

Last On
    07-13-2024 @ 09:13 AM
    Local Date
    09-23-2024
    Local Time
    01:23 PM
    Jim, I was hunting feral hogs in B.C. 40 years ago.

I remember the offers for the hunting trip Frank
    I've even asked Charlie Painter, GI BoB and a couple of others. Heck I've even ask Jim Flavin when he still could get around Really Good
    I watched about 30 of those YouTube Hunting for Hogs in a Helicopter and for every Hog that was Downed they spent 11 to 13 rounds. I hope those were Reloads. When I grew up at the Ranch being taught how to Hunt from my GrandFather and my Father the only thing you really worried about theses Hogs back then was "Don't let your guard down in the Thicket" Those ***tards and those Tusks can Really Cut you up without you knowing just for awhile like a Mexican with a Switchblade. Before I shot my first Hog 41 yrs ago I had already killed 2 Really nice Cougars some nice Bobcats lot of Doe and Bucks. Now these Darn Hogs have run off the the Doe so before hunting season we pay some workers to take care of the feed and keep them away from the Oates Patches.

8. The Following 2 Members Say Thank You to imntxs554 For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread