+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Long Branch serial number listing

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Hybrid View

FREE MEMBER
    NO Posting or PM's Allowed
    Last On
    07-19-2013 @ 09:47 AM
    Mechanicsburg, PA in summer and Avon Park, FL in the winter.
    Local Date
    06-24-2024
    Local Time
    08:19 PM
    Hey Limpetmine,

I may have misunderstood what your intention for this thread was, but it seems to me you are requesting and recording serial numbers for Long Branch No.4 Mk1 rifles. If that is correct, I have a Long Branch rifle with serial number 91L3341. The left side of the receiver is marked as follows:

C No 4 Mk 1*
    Long Branch

The "o" in No and the "k" in Mk are kind of superscript with a "-" under each of the letters. The "*" after Mk 1 is not a suprerscript star. It is really a full sized star type character. The serial number 91L3341 is located on the left side of the receiver band just above the rear of the trigger guard.

It is probably obvious that I do not know much about the proper nomenclature for this and other .303 Brit rifles, but I hope my description is understandable to you all. I think I read somewhere that the Long Branch rifles were made in Canadaicon.

I was never a great fan of the .303 Brit rifles, but I have always liked military rifles and figured I ought to buy one when they were rather cheap. I started out with one model, then bought another that I liked better and sold the first. I would guess I may have bought five or six of the various .303 Brit models until I was able to get this Long Branch model for a rather inexpensive price. I suspect I traded myself out of a few rifles that actually saw military combat, and I ended up with a rifle that was made several years after WWII. Well, I really did not want a bunch of these rifles, and the condition of the Long Branch rifle was so much better than the others, I went for pretty rather than history.

Best wishes,
    Dave Wile
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by David Wile; 12-04-2009 at 09:18 PM.

FREE MEMBER
    NO Posting or PM's Allowed
    Last On
    04-04-2011 @ 08:25 PM
    Local Date
    06-24-2024
    Local Time
    07:19 PM
    I have a 1942 No.4 MK 1*. It has smooth hand guards and a MK III rear site. Serial no.2L2980
    There are no FTR markings and it has the early cocking part at the end of the bolt.

3. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
+ Reply to Thread