+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Which Cameras and with What Settings do people use to photograph gun parts?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Hybrid View

FREE MEMBER
    NO Posting or PM's Allowed
    Last On
    12-29-2013 @ 01:09 AM
    Local Date
    06-17-2024
    Local Time
    03:56 AM
    Gunner. please give us a close up pic of the of the markings on that left hand receiver rail. Many Thanks. Mike.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    09-02-2018 @ 08:20 AM
    Local Date
    06-16-2024
    Local Time
    02:56 PM
    Hi Mike,

i´ll do that as soon as i am back from bowhunting at our 3D course!

See you later

Gunner

3. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    Advisory Panel

Last On
    06-09-2023 @ 04:20 AM
    Local Date
    06-16-2024
    Local Time
    10:56 AM
    I really ought to buy a "real" camera. I either borrow a fairly decent SLR digital Sony or use my "prize" for 20yrs faithful service: a Fujifilm A170 "toy camera". All my good cameras date to the film era. But the tripods still come in handy.

If I could figure out how to keep the little Fujifilm's flash from overpowering the photo I'd call it servicable, but it's right annoying, esp. because I don't have much time from work lately to do much of any fancy photo work. Gotta be fast! And have run-on sentences!

Quick handheld photo w/ the Fujifilm:

Annoying flash washout!:

It also wants to focus on the background as there's no manual focus, but I'm learning to work around it. (slowly)
    Last edited by jmoore; 07-18-2010 at 09:12 AM.

FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    @
    Local Date
    06-16-2024
    Local Time
    JM,

Turn your flash off and set a slower shutter speed. Many have the misconception that you need a flash, even indoors, which is not always true. Or set your flash to the lowest brightness it will shoot at.

Advisory Panel

Last On
    06-09-2023 @ 04:20 AM
    Local Date
    06-16-2024
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramboueille View Post
    JM,

Turn your flash off and set a slower shutter speed. Many have the misconception that you need a flash, even indoors, which is not always true. Or set your flash to the lowest brightness it will shoot at.
    You make me realize I haven't the foggiest idea HOW to make this camera do tricks! It's too simple appearing. I need manual controls for everything, then it's all visible and I can sort it out. "Menus" and a book manual that was pretty much worthless have wrecked the learning curve! (And to think I spent summers back in the stone age doing catalog photography, as an assistant, w/ a 4"x5" portrait camera....)

FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    12-05-2013 @ 03:08 PM
    Local Date
    06-16-2024
    Local Time
    08:56 AM
    I now use a Sony a350. It's what I used in the recent Bavarian series. But it doesn't take any better photos than my old Koduck. It's got more bells and whistles than I know what to do with.
    Johnny is correct. A good tripod is a big piece of the puzzle. And like Tired Retired. I also use an old spotting scope tripod with good success on the small pieces. Works real good on top of the island in the middle of our kitchen. Recently got a wide-dangle ;-) lens I'm farting with for bigger stuff.
    If your camera has the feature, I find a remote shutter release is VERY handy. Keeps the worry out of being close. !!

Ronnie, aka Jim

P.S. Film is "cheap". Shoot lots of photos at different settings/angles
    Last edited by Jim Nasium; 07-18-2010 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Add P.S.

FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    @
    Local Date
    06-16-2024
    Local Time
    JM,

You're no different than anyone else using a new digital camera. Most of us, except the professionals, use 25% of the features that an intermediate digital camera offers. I only use "auto" controls for outside family photos, for gun and parts photos, it's manual settings and a good tripod, and practice. My son and I bought a top notch tripod (~$90) a few years ago and that purchase was a "no brainer." They are universal and will fit most all digital cameras if you want detailed photos of guns and parts.

Photo taken from my workbench a year ago (Canon A620, three years old) on a tripod from 16" under florescent lights (alleged to be a big no-no but not true), manual settings. I am not a professional by any stretch but this photo would publish commercially easy. Use a neutral backgound that doesn't clash.

Attachment 14172

(Deceased January 2016)

Last On
    01-04-2016 @ 04:42 PM
    Real Name
    Harlan
    Local Date
    06-16-2024
    Local Time
    08:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Nasium View Post
    If your camera has the feature, I find a remote shutter release is VERY handy. Keeps the worry out of being close. !!

Ronnie, aka Jim
    I agree with Ron here....
    At very close distances, the act of pushing the button can move the camera ever so slightly, even when using a tripod. Most cameras have a delay setting (sometimes used to take photos of yourself, etc) -
    Many cameras have a delay as short as one or two seconds, and I use it so I don't disrupt the camera when the photo is actually taken. I think it's as important as the tripod.
    I hope this is understandable, as it's a good tool in getting clear macro photos.

These were taken with an older inexpensive Sony with only a bipod and three second delay.

10. The Following 5 Members Say Thank You to Harlan (Deceased) For This Useful Post:

FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    05-12-2023 @ 03:39 PM
    Local Date
    06-16-2024
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
    I really ought to buy a "real" camera. I either borrow a fairly decent SLR digital Sony or use my "prize" for 20yrs faithful service: a Fujifilm A170 "toy camera". All my good cameras date to the film era. But the tripods still come in handy.

If I could figure out how to keep the little Fujifilm's flash from overpowering the photo I'd call it servicable, but it's right annoying, esp. because I don't have much time from work lately to do much of any fancy photo work. Gotta be fast! And have run-on sentences!

Quick handheld photo w/ the Fujifilm:

Annoying flash washout!:

It also wants to focus on the background as there's no manual focus, but I'm learning to work around it. (slowly)
    One trick I was told to keep the flash from washing out is to put scotch tape over the flash!

FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    08-20-2017 @ 08:56 AM
    Local Date
    06-16-2024
    Local Time
    07:56 AM
    Autofocus in macro mode can sometimes be tricky/annoying too. I use an Olympus 3040Z and sometimes I have to fool the camera into focusing on what I want rather than what it thinks I want. And don't need any special "camera software". Works just like a floppy drive and Irfanview has hall the photoprocessing functions I need for free.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast