FREE MEMBER
    NO Posting or PM's Allowed
    Last On
    06-07-2022 @ 08:49 PM
    Local Date
    09-22-2024
    Local Time
    02:26 AM
    I'm not obsessed with HT Lithgows just ignore my user name......
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    Local Date
    09-22-2024
    Local Time
    Well, they say all good things come to those who wait, I did wait although I almost lost the plot. But here it is a genuine high mount pattern 1918 scope to fit my HT Lithgowicon, how lucky am I, this scope looks new, the adjustments work perfectly and the optics are as clear and unblemished as any new scope today (and even better than some new ones!). Even came with a case!
    For Brad: Engraved is Rifle No. 61824 the mounts are numbered 995 and the brass ring has the same number as the mounts.

Now that I have it, I doubt I'll ever part with such a fine example. They'll be selling this as a deceased estate if I never have kids to pass it down.

Enjoy the pic.

Oh yeah the case actually has 49031 written on the outside, a different scope number.
    Attachment 5124
    Last edited by LithgowHT; 05-29-2009 at 02:45 AM.

3. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    Last On
    09-11-2024 @ 07:19 AM
    On the right side of Australia, below the middle and a little bit in from the edge.
    Local Date
    09-22-2024
    Local Time
    03:26 AM
    Congrats on the pick-up, mate! It looks very nice! And there is a reason for that.
    The scope was removed from the rifle on the 20/07/54 when it was included in the 100 rifles FTR'd by the factory as an exercise for the tradesmen. Fair bet the rifle hadn't been issued from new, and was taken off the shelf and re-furbished.
    This is the first scope of the 100 to turn up in my records. I wonder where the other 99 ended up?
    The ring number confirmed by the eyepiece ring are orig. to the scope and it's first rifle.
    I've noted several cases with rifle serials on them, some have been in chalk, usually white, others in dark ink. The number indicates a rifle completed and sent to store on the 05/05/45.

FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    Local Date
    09-22-2024
    Local Time
    Thanks for the info Brad, I thought you'd have some interesting insider knowledge but I'm amazed you know of 100 rifles FTR'd and their serials.
    What a shame they took the scopes off these in 54.
    Got some mounts with it, however these aren't your standard HT style, more modernized, I would hazard a guess they're a conversion to fit a no.4 judging by the style similarities between the no.4 T mounts...If requested I can post a pic of them but not much to see. From what you've told me the scope was probably a well cared for range specimen No.4 from new, seeing as in 55 this was the best scope available on the market.
    The HT timber is being re-furbished at the moment, when done I'll post the completed rifle and scope here.

Last On
    09-11-2024 @ 07:19 AM
    On the right side of Australia, below the middle and a little bit in from the edge.
    Local Date
    09-22-2024
    Local Time
    I'd like to see pics of the bases when you get around to it. If they can be identified it may give a clue as to where the other 99 scopes ended up.

Last On
    Yesterday @ 05:42 PM
    Real Name
    Peter
    Local Date
    09-21-2024
    Local Time
    11:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Son View Post
    I'd like to see pics of the bases when you get around to it. If they can be identified it may give a clue as to where the other 99 scopes ended up.
    My money's on they ended up being used for the same purpose as Matt's HT (fullbore rifles). The vast majority of end users could see no purpose in keeping that weak outdated 'scope lying in the box of bits in the shed and either tossed it or fitted it to the young bloke's .22

FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    Local Date
    09-22-2024
    Local Time
    Here's a pic of the bases Brad, the front is very similar to a Lithgowicon original and the rear screws onto a plate that resembles a No.4 Scope mount pad.

Incidently I'm selling these on ebay right now to try and offset the cost of the scope, however I'm looking for a "as new" set of Lithgow smle Queensland maple for another project which I'd happily swap.

I put that clause in the ebay add originally and the ebay nazis removed my listing because I was trying to advertise a sale outside ebay...wankers.
    Oh yeah here's a couple more scope photos. love that scope.

Attachment 5178 Attachment 5179 Attachment 5180

(Lee Enfield Forum)

Last On
    05-19-2024 @ 11:53 PM
    Real Name
    Thomas Smith
    Local Date
    09-22-2024
    Local Time
    I've got one of the 1954 FTR'd ones. S/N 9016. Mounts look much the same as others I've seen.

FREE MEMBER
    Last On
    12-02-2009 @ 10:26 PM
    Local Date
    09-21-2024
    Local Time
    11:26 AM
    Hi guys I know this is not an HT but I recently aquired an Lithgowicon mark III H from a freind of mine, and this is what I Know about it.It is Marked on the butsocket Lithgow SHT.LE 1917,the reciever ring is marked with ser#69983 wich matches the barrell marking,also on reciever ring is 2 other # (47495
    ) this is crossed out & the other # below this is 357 with the D^D stamped 2X.Barrell flat is marked (H) with the D^D stamped over this,to the left of barrell flat it is marked (II'33).Infront of rear sight it is marked on the barrell (HV) over(SC).The but stock is marked on the right side near the butplate D^D 1/16 with a 6 below this & a 518 mark below this.I found out that 10 or 11 of these were purchased from Fort William police department in the 1980's wich were used for bear control & tactical purposes at one time, and were now obsolete so my freind bought the lot from them as surplus.The forend stock was cutdown 4" infront of the rear sight ,the hangaurd was taken off from front of rear sight also.Any help with the butstock markings and extra serial# on reciever would be appreciated.Thanks Dale in T-Bay

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3