Last On
    08-02-2013 @ 12:25 AM
    Local Date
    09-23-2024
    Local Time
    03:37 AM

New to me M1

To all,

I have recently acquired a National Postal Meter M1icon carbine with a CAI import mark. It is a mixmaster of Winchester, Inland Underwood and NPM parts as far as I can tell. It looks like the wood has been chewed by a beaver. The receiver and everything else looks pretty good, except the slide. There is a lot of lateral and vertical play in the slide/receiver interface. Not so much that the slide comes clear of the receiver, but enough that putting a magazine in too hard or bumping the slide inadvertently will cause the slide to come out of lock back. There is wear down to bare metal at the rear travel of the slide on the top of the bottom receiver rail.

I expect this is one of the CAI Israeli Korean imports, but there are no special markings to indicate that. My concerns are would a replacement slide maybe address the sloppiness of the slide receiver fit. Also, if I got the gun re-parkerized would that help the fit? The gun functions fine and the accuracy is above my expectations.

Also, would like to replace the old wood. I have checked around and for what I want this for (a shooter), I think a hardwood stock would suffice, but I am open to opinions.

My dad carried one of these for two years working as a prison guard in Japanicon in the early 50's, so that is also what I am trying to emulate, a rebuilt weapon of that era. I'll try to include some pictures later.

Thanks,

JD
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

Senior Moderator
    (Milsurp Forums)
    Last On
    09-21-2024 @ 10:20 PM
    Real Name
    Bill Hollinger
    Local Date
    09-23-2024
    Local Time
    01:37 AM
    First off JD let me welcome you to the site.

You could fix none, some or all of the sloppiness depending on how the receiver looks. Most of the time it is the slide. if the guide slot in the receiver looks good then replacing the slide with a good one will likely fix it. Let us know how it goes and BTW, if there are no pictures, it never happened So, post some of your new war baby so we can have a look at her.
    Bill Hollinger

"We're surrounded, that simplifies our problem!"

3. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    Last On
    06-07-2023 @ 08:25 PM
    Local Date
    09-23-2024
    Local Time
    04:37 AM
    You might want to buy a copy of "US M1icon Carbines, Wartime Production" by Craig Riesch. There are drawings of all versions of the parts. There is a later version of the operating slide stop (Type III) may hold the slide better, but the slide lock is never positive; this is not considered a problem, as locking the slide back was never considered important by the US military.

Based on the variable quality of CAI milsurps, plus the fact that Korean Army armorers sometimes made repairs we would consider unsafe (e.g., welding a broken bolt lug), you may want to pay a gunsmith to check it out. I'd look for a "service trained armorer". Parkerizing is strictly cosmetic, it won't tighten up your gun.

Most USGI stocks were walnut, some replacements were birch (both are hardwoods). Birch doesn't have the nice grain of walnut & doesn't take stain well, but it is stronger than walnut. Decent USGI stocks are getting hard to find out there, but there is nothing wrong with a commercial stock if made to milspec.

Last On
    Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Real Name
    Frank Derrico
    Local Date
    09-23-2024
    Local Time
    JD welcome to thr forum.
    I would try a differant slide to see if it fits better than the one you have.
    CAI recently imported carbines from Isreal and SOG was/is selling them. I got one, it was the dirtiest gun I had ever received. It took 2 days to detail it but when done I was very happy.
    Does your stock have any very small circled numerals stamps? The Isreali's also liked to stamp the serial # on the left side of the stock near the slingwell. Does the receiver have any other than G.I. stamps or small electro pencil marks?
    I have an extra NPM stock, I also have some very good M2 stocks . If you're interested PM me and I can e-mail some pics.
    Like Bill said post some pics when you can.....Frank

Advisory Panel
    Last On
    @
    Real Name
    Bob
    Local Date
    09-23-2024
    Local Time
    I just got an IBM Carbine that was imported by CAI. I'll have to vouch for what Frank said about them being dirty. They must have had a rule that said to oil all parts heavily everyday! I'm beginning my second day of the detail cleaning and have never seen as much "crud" inside of a gun before. There's a tab on the slide near the back that runs in the receiver rail. From top to bottom, this tab is supposed to measure around .240 in. on a good one. If it's worn a lot, that might be your problem. I had one that was worn down to .226 in. and it disengaged pretty easily. Other places to look for wear are on the receiver groove itself and on the grooves on the sides of the barrel, including the lugs on the slide that run in them. The day I bought my IBM, they had an Inland with a better looking stock, but it had a nasty looking dark ring inside the barrel about an inch or so back from the muzzle. My IBM has a nice NPM trigger housing. Does your NPM happen to have an IBM? Welcome to the Forum! - Bob

FREE MEMBER
    NO Posting or PM's Allowed
    Last On
    Local Date
    09-23-2024
    Local Time

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies. Here are pictures of the slide, receiver and rear sight. I am hoping I can just push it over, but I know that some of them were staked and that may be why this is so off-center. Sorry for the low quality pictures.

Slide pushed toward receiver
    Photobucket

Slide pulled away from receiver
    Photobucket

Receiver wear
    Photobucket

Rear sight off-center
    Photobucket

Rough wood
    Photobucket

Any input appreciated.

JD

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

USGI,

Unfortunately, my trigger housing is an Inland. I am looking to replace the twist safety with a push button. I think it would be more positive feeling.

Thanks,

JD

Advisory Panel browningautorifle's Avatar
    Last On
    Yesterday @ 10:11 AM
    Real Name
    Jim
    Local Date
    09-23-2024
    Local Time
    To me, it looks like about half the carbines I've owned. Until you wring it out you won't know how it works and how accurate it is. The sight can be drifted carefully over and the wood refinished. the over all finish can be redone and the slid's mostly normal. The mag thing is too for what I've found.
    Regards, Jim

FREE MEMBER
    NO Posting or PM's Allowed
    Last On
    Local Date
    09-23-2024
    Local Time

My range time

I have had this out a couple of times and for the most part it shoots about 3" at 50 yards. But that is based on my 55 yr old eyes and cheap(er) ammo. It shoots better with the RNSP hunting ammo; however, this shoots to the left of where regular RNFMJ hits. So far, I have had only one FTF with a reload that showed a very light primer stike. Otherwise, 200 rounds without any issues.

Looked around fro a replacement slide and they are running $90 to $135 depending on brand and vendor. I was hoping for a NPM, but since I want a shooter more than a correct collector's piece. I saw some at Riverbank, but have read mixed reviews on them. Others have replacement slides listed, but no mfg. info. Looking for any thoughts.

Thanks,

JD

Advisory Panel
    Last On
    @
    Local Date
    09-23-2024
    Local Time
    04:37 AM
    STAY AWAY FROM RIVERBANK........ ALL REPRO/JUNK..........

List your needs here on the WANT TO BUY adds. You can list as buy/trade.

Best bet, deal with members/collectors.

Slides- Along with wear on the rear tab, look at wear on the 2 inner pads above the rear shelf, at the rear wall of the slide well. They can get pretty rounded off, causing side to side play. While checking, Is your Slide Spring in good shape?

Charlie-painter777
    Last edited by painter777; 01-10-2012 at 11:02 PM. Reason: add info

11. Thank You to painter777 For This Useful Post:

Last On
    Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Real Name
    Frank Derrico
    Local Date
    09-23-2024
    Local Time
    JD, saw this over on the CMPicon carbine forum. He's a reputable seller.
    NPM carbine parts - CMP Forums

Regards.....Frank

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast