In 1944 at Parris Island Recruit Depot the marksmanship training lasted three weeks. A couple of days were spent shooting an H&R .22 rifle. That training ended with shooting at 25 yards over the same course of fire as was used for qualification firing with the M1, with a possible score of 340. A score of 306 was the minimum score for an expert qualification with the M1. I don't know if my score of 309 with the .22 rifle made me an expert in smallbore.

In 1946 I acquired a Model 165 H&R "Leatherneck" .22 which was almost identical to the rifle used in the Marine boot camp. I still have it although the operating rod, accessed by a finger of the left hand through a slot in the bottom of the fore end, and is part of the trigger mechanism, is worn so that the trigger works only part of the time. That part has been impossible for me to locate.

Several years ago, at a gun show, I ran across a Model 65 H&R .22 rifle, the same rifle used in 1944 at Parris Island. Since the dealer did not have a magazine for the rifle the price was reasonable. The magazines for my Model 165 work just fine in the Model 65. I have the mate to the "Leatherneck." It weighs just over 9 pounds with a heavier barrel and a fatter stock than the Model 165 "Leatherneck", which weighs just under 7 pounds. I's in excellent condition with a good bore. The rear sight is a Redfield, identical to the "Leatherneck" but the front sight has ears like an M1 or M14icon. Both rifles have walnut stocks, similar in shape.

My Model 65 doesn't have the USMC marking so it's not an original Marine rifle. But it's now owned by a former Marine which qualifies it as a Marine rifle.

S E M P E R F I

Jim
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.