Threaded View

Last On
    02-15-2023 @ 10:08 PM
    Local Date
    06-02-2024
    Local Time
    10:58 AM

Front sight hood?

Alright, where is the definitive answer for the orientation of the front sight hood???

I've read some of the normal books, as well as some of the manufacturer correspondence. Been to the Citadel museum in Quebec City, the National War Museum in Ottawa, the Museum of the Regiments in Calgary, Fort Henry in Kingston, Talked with a few curators, etc, etc, etc...... all pretty good authorities.. I've got a couple pics of a PPCLI rifle in the PPCLI museum and a couple others to post later.

I've only seen ONE book that indicates the hood should be oriented with the flat side towards shooter. Everything else indicates the bevel should match the sight base, ie. with the slant following the base towards the shooter, and the flat side towards the muzzle.

I just can't imagine why they would purposely mount the sight hood opposite to the angle of the sight base????

I do a fair share of shooting as well, and no one is going to be able to say that having the sight hood either way is going to guarantee a better sight picture, and therefore make the shooter/rifle more precise.

Guess I'm just looking for reason to mount the sight hood goofy or leave it so it looks reasonable.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by koldt; 06-08-2010 at 10:39 PM. Reason: spulin