An impulse purchase has made me the owner of an altered carbine. I paid 500 dollars versus the 350 I thought it was worth but it looked so nice I "had to have it". Now I am trying to figure out what I have. It's my first Kraig. Briefly, the receiver is a model 1898 SA with a SN of 132620. The stock looks all correct, butt plate, saddle ring, cartouches bottom and side. The date on the side cartouche either 1898 or 1896. Since reading on this forum that the 1898 one is almost does not exist I assume it must the the 1896? Now the strange part. The barrel sports an 1896 rifle sight on the rear and a 1903 type slip on sight on the front. The barrel is marked right behind the front sight is marked like a 1903 Springfield. S A, bomb below it, and 1 08 below that. The top side has a P. The gun chambers a 30-40 round but not a 30-06. Were Kraig barrels marked like this or is it possible someone has fit an altered 1903 barrel on the gun? Oh, almost forgot, the barrel length is 22.5 inches. Why would someone do this instead of making it the standard 22 inches?

I would greatly appreciate comments of any kind about this carbine. I understand what I bought for 500 dollars. I know pictures would help but I am barely camera literate at this time.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.