As a general rule, I don't buy government model colts. I usually only purchase military models, but a guy at work brought this in to me today and I almost felt sorry for the old gal. He doesn't appreciate firearms very well, and I felt like adopting her. She doesn't have much finish left, but when you take off the grips she still has the beautiful high polish blue left. The serial number is C9102. Which I can find on the internet that it was made in 1914.

Now I know nothing about commercial models, but from what I know from miltiary models it seems mostly correct. I do have a few quesitons though, what are the correct markings for the barrel? This barrel only has a J stamp on the side. Also the magazine is a two tone, with no loop. Is that correct? Did the early commercials come with loop mags from the factory like the military models? Also the top rear sight is the round version instead of the flat, is that correct?

I know about the canadian purchase and this is in the serial number where it could have been a canadian issue. But the Magazine does not have the broadarrow markings. But one thing that absolutely confused me when I field stripped it was, is the arrow and G stamp on the top near the disconnector. Is the arrow stamp the canadian broad arrow marking? Also the G stamp, wasn't that a marking used to signify that it was for a government order for the us military? I know all my colt USGI pistols were stamped with a G.

Anyways, I bought it real cheap. I paid the same as a refinished mixmaster goes for. So even if it's not a Canadianicon issue, I'm still happy I bought it. It's one of the tightest 1911's I have ever seen. And it has a wonderful trigger in it. I can't wait to find out how it shoots!

Thanks guys in advance for any hlep on quesitons!
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.