Thread: Restoreing a Mauser Standard action with an Israeli 308 K98 barrel and beech stock?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Threaded View

FREE MEMBER
    NO Posting or PM's Allowed
    Last On
    02-01-2012 @ 01:25 AM
    Local Date
    05-29-2024
    Local Time
    01:41 PM

Restoreing a Mauser Standard action with an Israeli 308 K98 barrel and beech stock?

I need some knowledgeable help and direction. Is this a good plan or should I do something different?

Several years ago I picked up a Mauser Standard action (Mauser Logo) in VG condition. The bolt SN is non matching. The bolt may be a DWM bolt in VG condition. The bolt fits perfectly (Not too loose or wobbly) and is very smooth in operation..

I also have a brand new, in the white, Israeli K98icon, 308 barrel. I traded for a new Israeli K98 beech stock/guard. I purchased a complete new, Israeli rear sight and front sight set. I plan to use a German K98 bayonette lug/pin, a rear/front band with an Israeli band spring. I now have all the parts to make up a rifle.

I have checked with the local gunsmith and he is not interested in soldering on the rear and front site. He will install and headspace the barrel.

I need to find a gunsmith to install/headspace the barrel and is familiar with the soldering of the sights. Any one know of an experienced Mauser gunsmith capable of doing the work to original Mauser specs?

I also had the thought of using JB Weld or some other recommended epoxy, to install the sights myself. Has anyone used a high tensil, heat resistant epoxy to weld the sight bases, instead of using solder? I plan to epoxy coat the weapon in a gunmetal blue that Brownell's sells.

I would prefer to use all German parts for the restore, but this is what I have now.

I have tried to locate a excellant condition, walnut or laminated K98 stock for the project, but the ones I have considered, I felt the sellers wanted to much money for them. I do not think the rifle I want put together will ever be collectable, I am building a shooter. I may add a scope later if the completed rifle shoots well enough. I have a Swarovski Optic ZFM 6X42 (26mm tube) with a post reticule that would look great on the rifle.

I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks, Doug Rosso
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by D. C. Rosso; 01-24-2012 at 06:16 PM.