I need to get some info on ATF regs as they were in the 1968 time frame. Specificaly a 4473 form and rules for out of state purchase of pistols. I seem to remember name, address, age and other info on the form, correct? plus the list of questions that would be easy to lie about, as to-day, but was any ID required, such as a drivers license? And could a resident from out of state purchase a pistol across the counter? Would a military person be considered a resident of ANY state he was stationed in or was this local state law? I had a FFL about this time but unfortunitly didn't keep any old 4473's.

For those who wonder this concerns a recent book that was written about a murder/rape serial killer that occured here in 1973. The gun was found months later in a river and ATF traced it to a pawn shop sold to a John Smith outside a large Army camp in Yuma AR. Book says no useful info on the form except the name but the name was so commen it was not of much use. Now this seems like a clear violation on the part of the pawn shop (FFL dealer). The killer was found and convicted in 1999, by finailly locating John Smith. The gun had been stolen from him by an acquintance years before.

A VERY good book, An Ordinary Killer, by Anthony Hornus. He lives here and I am going to write him a letter so I need some facts. Thanks, before hand.

PS; Also no mention in the book about trying to trace the gun thru MI state registration records or charging John Smith with non-registration. Another question!
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.