I have an old, 5-screw, S&W M&P revolver. The right side of the barrel is marked .38 S&W (not .38 S&W Special). It is also marked with some of the Britishicon identifiers ("3.5 Tons," etc.; pretty faint & not easy for my old eyes to decipher). On the left side of the frame, above the grip area, is "Converted by Cogswell & Harrison, Ltd, London."

I have read that a large number of old .38 S&W (or .380-200 British) Victory Models were converted to .38 Special by Cogswell & Harrison, for return to the American market.

Here's where I need some help. Mine is not a Victory Model (as best I can tell). It has a 6-digit serial number (418xxx) with no "V" prefix, and is blued (I think the original finish; the S&W marks are crisp & clear). I find no markings indicating governmental ownership or use (unless I'm overlooking something). It has the lanyard ring & swivel in the butt. Also, the grips are old, checkered walnut, but without the S&W escutcheons.

Finally, the front sight is unlike that of any other S&W M&P 5-screw I've ever seen. It is a sloped blade atop a sloped ramp (not the "half-moon" profile normally encountered).

I have (again) read that the revolvers converted from the original chambering to .38 Special were marked "Special" on the right side of the barrel, near the original ".38 S&W" stamp. Mine has no such added marking.

My questions:

1) Could this revolver have been a UK military issued WWII sidearm? Any info or background, sources, etc., would be appreciated.
2) Do you think it was converted to .38 Special, based on the "Converted by ..." mark on the frame? Or, could the "conversion" refer to something else, in light of no barrel marking re: cartridge (front sight, for instance)?
3) As the .38 S&W case is slightly larger in diameter than the .38 Special, many "conversions" are not safe to fire with Specials, as the cases often split. Any info re: Cogswell & Harrison conversions, in this regard? Are they considered safe (and if so, how did the company achieve this)?

I appreciate all info and assistance, and thank you in advance.

I'd attach photos, but my camera gear is dated, using that ol' 35 mm stuff, and I'm too technology-challenged to go digital .....

Ray
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.