First of all from the C&R reg handbook section 478.23 a. through d. details the inspection and the "rights" of "ANY ATF Officer" In a nut shell IF they are not aware of any violation they may inspect during "business hours" also construed as "when you are home" your premises, once during a 12 month period. 478.23 subsection (c) states;(c) may enter during hours of operation the premises, including places of storage, of any licensed collector for the purpose of inspecting or examining the records, documents, firearms, and ammunition referred to in paragraph (a) of this section (1) for ensuring compliance with the recordkeeping requirements of this part not more than once during any 12-month period or (2) when such inspection or examination may be required for determining the disposition of one or more particular firearms in the course of a bona fide criminal investigation. At the election of the licensed collector, the annual inspection permitted by this paragraph shall be performed at the ATF office responsible for conducting such inspection in the closest proximity to the collector’s premises.
IF they only want to see your book you can take it to thier office.
So Agent arrives, shows me his ATF ID and business card, we chit chat about C&R Regs and any questions I have, I educate him to the fact I didn't have to book in C&R's that I owned prior to getting the C&R FFL, confirmed via phone with his boss, he thanked me for that info. He wanted to know how many acquitions and dispositions in the last 12 months. Then we took my Bound Book and review the book vs what I have on site. I had already laid it all out in order of aquisition so that was quick, passed 100%. We then went through a check list of regs he had to "discuss" with me. HE DID NOT ask to see ammo, storage or anything but the bound book and my collection. The Agent said these are "random checks", he thanked me for my time 1.5 hours and left. So as long as you are living up to the terms of your C&R FFL regs you shouldn't have a problem. For those who haven't you should do an audit of your book vs collection as when they call you won't have time to get it together once they've made contact with you. Stalling might provoke a warrant search. This agent wasa medic at Ft Lewis , so we talked medical stuff and it went much better than I first anticipated. Hope this info helps. BB
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.