I have a new-found respect for people who can do this and do it right. I pulled these two rifles out of the bunch to clean up and refinish because they had like-new hanguards and the barreled receivers were arsenal refinished. I thought to myself, "This will be easy, all I have to do is clean the stock and refinish it to match the handguards". Silly me. Despite my best efforts they don't quite match.

I located the birch stock on another rifle that had walnut handguards. The only way I could really tell it was birch is looking on the inside - the outside was black and sticky like tar. I used almost every tip you guys gave me to get it cleaned up. I finally tinted it with some diluted red mahogany stain to get it close to the color of the handguards. If I was doing it over I would strip all three pieces and stain them at one time. As usual, I have much to learn.

I did find a nifty oiler inside one of the stocks. It is clear hard plastic with a compartment and applicator on each end. The paper label on it says:
1005 - 79 - 3377
CASE
1 EA A
8/55***LEAD

I attached a photo and I want to thank everyone who took the time to offer their personal experience and advice. Hopefully I will get a little better at this as I progress.

Paul
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.