It's obvious by the replies to the "What rifle are you using this fall" thread, that there are a few hunters on the board.

I posted that thread in giddy anticipation of the season, and now in the dreary anticlimax, seasons having come and gone, let's see how everyone made out.

Here's the result of my 2007 Whitetail hunt in Ontario. My .7mm-08 BLR (featured in the previous thread) held its own.

In order of appearance:

6pts.

The picture is kind of ****ty, but I included it because if you look carefully in the background of the pic of the 6 pointer you can see a bald bounder marked with a red aarow. I was walkign that far ridge and about the time I got to that bounder I could see the buck standing right about where it's lieing in the picture. I took off my pack to use as a sand bag, layed down beside that bald bounder and shot from there.

It's a hair over 400yds, and my 139gr. ballistic tipped handloads cut a slug-sized channel through the heart. I guess I cheated a little, I dialed the scope up fo 4X to make the shot

10pts.

I got this one a couple of days later. I party-hunt, and after getting the previous buck I was just waiting on something special. My Dad and Cousin pushed him out of some thick hardwoods towards where I stood. I heard him coming through the bush, and saw some dark movement, which I mistook for a bear, then I saw a bit of glint of the horns. He was trotting about 30-35yds, looking back in the direction of my old man, so I waited until he crossed a bit of an open spot in the thick brush and took a snap, had two more as he continued moving past me but not very swiftly. He climbed a bit of a ridge and stopped, I could just make out the shadow of him through the brush where he stood and had one more smash (70-75yds this time) and he went straight down.

I guess my first and last shots went through the lungs and heart, and of my two running shots, one just nicked accross the bottom of his chest, leaving a huge ammount of hair on the ground where it finally impacted, and the other went into his front shoulder. It's the biggest buck I've gotten yet, by a hair.

Not a bad season for me. How did you guys make out?
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.