Threaded View

Last On
    08-12-2021 @ 04:50 PM
    Local Date
    06-02-2024
    Local Time
    08:58 PM

Soviet 91-30 sniper accuracy

Having shot a bunch of WW2 snipers in an effort to determine what was the best(or at least potentially the most accurate with good ammo) sniper of WW2, I have fired about 40 Sovieticon snipers, most were PUs. I am leaning heavily toward the PU as being the best, which was a surprise. I am also pretty convinced that if all factors are considered, such as cost, impact to the war, simplicity, number used, ruggedness, optics, impact on the war, accuracy, etc. that the PU is pretty clearly the winner.

Accuracy being a biggie, here are a few recent results from a fresh refurb import PU from IO/Molot. This is not about my ability but the rifle's capability, as I am not the worlds best shot. I used quality ammo(Extra Match), a bench rest with bag at the butt in an attempt to minimize the human factor.

This rifle did receive a half barrel wrap near the front barrel band, an addition well known to Soviet shooters to help stabilize barrel harmonics. Most often the entire barrel is wrapped but some rifles prefer top 180 degree pressure instead and original rifles with either can be encountered.

This rifle was a 43 Tula and was refurbed, then put in storage. Of the first 6 groups fired after zeroing the average group was 1.12 inches, five shots at 100 yds. Three groups of the six were sub MOA.

Included also is a group fired from a 1942 ex-PEM, which is the best group I have gotten out of a Soviet sniper(or any WW2 sniper for that matter) at less than 0.4 MOA. This helps show what they can do on their best day with good ammo. It also helps support what I believe, and many of us who shoot these a lot, being that ex-snipers were not all made ex-snipers because they were worn out.

Looks like I have some picture resizing to do and will edit post.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by mike radford; 12-28-2012 at 10:41 AM.

2. The Following 7 Members Say Thank You to mike radford For This Useful Post: