Hey there milsurp.com, I have a problem that I figured I'd toss at you guys as its sort of stumped me as to how I should proceed, and the original place I posted this (the /r/guns board on reddit) thought that someone here probably knew the answer to it. I bought a Ishapore Lee Enfield No 1 MK 3 at a gun show during the Sandy Hook freak out. I liked the thing, was actually my first firearm but because it was my first I had no idea what I was really getting into. The thing worked well until a couple months passed, and I noticed that there were some serious cracks in the stock.

I took it to a gunsmith to see about repairing it and he said that, because the Ishapore rifles use oil infused stocks, that he had nothing for it, as any sort of epoxy he used wouldn't hold due to the way it was manufactured.

I've gone and looked at original looking stocks, and anytime I do find a full No 1 Mk 3 stock they are either as much as what I paid for the original gun, or are terrible looking. Separate pieces I would have no idea what to do with, and would, combined, be probably around the same price all told.

Monte Carlo does make a polymer stock for it, but I figured I'd talk to you guys before I go and make a sporter out of this thing (Its not the best shooter in the world or anything so I wouldn't consider it a huge loss, but I do like the Enfield due to the way it looks and making it into just another hunting rifle would break my heart).

So what do you think? Is there a way to fix an oil infused stock that either I, or a more in the know gunsmith could do? If not, should I just sell it at a loss to someone looking for a project/wall hangar? Would it be blasphemous to put it on a Monte Carlo stock?

Also just so you know the extent of the issue: picture of how it looks (sorry for the quality)

Picture of the major crack by the mag well.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.