Added to my CW collection today. Took a chance on the characteristic 'fuzzy picture auction' on GB. But not really a reach, as the owner lived here in MA and I could see it before I bought it. Turned out the owner was a fellow re-enactor, and we knew each other by sight but not name. Go figure. He hasn't done anything to it since he got it 10+ years ago. Seems to be covered in a layer of shellac of some type. Nice dark blue black patina over rust and rust accretion, especially around the nipple, butt plate, and tang. Stock cartouche is still visible, but the '1854' on the tang and V/P/Eagle are only partly visible under the accretion. I'll need a way to remove the varnish but save the finish. Or since I plan to use it re-enacting, the varnish might be nice as an extra later of protection.

I also picked up a correct wider M42 style sling, original M42 musket tool, and tompion. An original bayonet is still on the way along with a correct hammer screw. As you can see, the screw on it does not cover the dimple on the flat of the hammer, and is a M55/61 screw. Cost about $65 more than a reproduction.

T
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.