Several people here have stressed the importance of utilizing tri-pods with photography. I most certainly concur.

There are several "types/configurations" of tri-pods. I have encountered two types and one is of specific preference to me.

One, a later production type (the one on top in this photo), has all three legs attached together at the center post. All three legs are somewhat articulated together which results in considerable limitation of use when the subject, for instance, is on a floor. To me, it seems these are used primarialy for horizontal attitude photography.

The other one, an older model and one which I prefer, has legs where their movement is independent of each other. With this type, much greater control of the almost vertical attitude is available. You can extend one leg fully and ALSO move it/position it inward, independent of the others, and yield an almost vertical photography mode.

For the second (bottom & older) type ~ look in antique shops, flea markets/swap meets, & garage/yard sales.

FYI & HTH, DW

Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.