Last On
    Today @ 09:46 AM
    Real Name
    Ronald
    Local Date
    05-20-2024
    Local Time
    02:01 PM
    The tin is real guys - it's not a recent reproduction. Frankly I don't give a damn about the tin. It's obvious what the tin is and a quick e-bay search shows us what they sell for.

This scope is not recently made. The optics have been installed so long that the lens groups are delaminating from age. While it looks bright in the photos, the areas where it's assembled are caked in decades of dust and grime.

I know for 100% fact that this scope is not a recent creation, not made in Asia, and not put together at the shop. Did I mention the shop owner is a close friend? He doesn't fake stuff.

There are really only 2 possibilities in my mind:

1) It's put together by a really talented metal guy back in the 50's or earlier who had help from a really talented optical lens guy using some original REL parts mixed with handmade (machined) parts; or
    2) It came out of Canadianicon Arsenals as some sort of experiment, toolroom model to test one or more features, or a trials prototype.

If I can't find any proof that points to option No.1, it will get sold as No.2. Either way, it will get sold - the owner is not a collector - I just don't want my buddy to let a potentially significant treasure go cheaply to some local hunter for a nothing price to do time on a cut-down deer rifle.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Союз нерушимый республик свободных Сплотила навеки Великая Русь. Да здравствует созданный волей народов Единый, могучий Советский Союз!

Last On
    09-08-2023 @ 06:42 AM
    Local Date
    05-20-2024
    Local Time
    08:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Claven2 View Post
    If I can't find any proof that points to option No.1, it will get sold as No.2. Either way, it will get sold - the owner is not a collector - I just don't want my buddy to let a potentially significant treasure go cheaply to some local hunter for a nothing price to do time on a cut-down deer rifle.
    Thing is, as you admit, no-one knows. Selling it as 'no.2' without someone coming forward who can prove it either way would be somewhat disingenuous as you don't know. If you're a well known Lee Enfield expert and you sell something with no proof claiming it's a Canadianicon Arsenals prototype I would suggest you might potentially harm your reputation. The safest thing is sell the scope case and as for the rest.... bin it?

3. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
+ Reply to Thread