Hi,

Pics attached of a currently incomplete and faulty Webley MkIV I am hoping to restore as far as UKicon law will allow. (It is of course deactivated) So far, there are two problems to overcome…

The first is obviously missing parts. I have found a UK dealer with a pair of grips which are now on order. I do however also require the following parts - using the names in the 1947 parts ID list posted on this forum:

Cam lever fixing screw
Cylinder stop axis pin
Cylinder stop
Cylinder stop spring
Plunger
Plunger pin
Plunger spring

Or to summarise, I need a cam lever fixing screw plus a complete cylinder stop assembly plus the pin that holds it in the frame. I am aware of three overseas suppliers that stock Webley MkIV parts: Apex Gun Parts, Numrich and Marstar. Apex have 6 of the 7 parts required, but Murphy’s Law will get you every time and dispiritingly they have “***WE DO NOT ACCEPT INTERNATIONAL ORDERS***” emblazoned on their website. Ho-hum. Between them Numrich and Marstar have 5 of the 7 parts required, but this obviously involves rather more hassle and expense. E.g. Numrich charge an additional $25 for processing international orders. Ho-hum again.

So a couple of questions; Is anyone aware of any other sources of Webley MkIV parts that will ship to the UK? Alternatively; are there any US legal ways of getting the parts from Apex to the UK via an intermediary? (Such as a US dealer who will export ‘non sensitive’ gun parts) Or is anyone reading who happens to have any of these parts for sale?

The second problem is that the action is currently faulty and I have yet to strip it down to see if I can diagnose the problem. The symptoms are that on single action the hammer will go back most of the way but won’t cock. On double action the hammer will go back so far, but not ‘trip’. (Plus the cylinder needs to be helped to rotate at the same time) I was wondering if anyone familiar with Webley actions could give me some pointers as to what the problem is likely to be and how it might be fixed? Also; are there any gunsmiths in the UK with the expertise to mend it should it be beyond my skills?

For those that appreciate such details, it’s a ‘WAR FINISH’ marked WWII example with matching serial numbers. The number is 105*** which I believe dates it to 1943. I bought it because it was about 1/3 of the market rate and did so in the knowledge that it may not be possible to properly restore it, but I am willing to give it my best shot.

Any help very gratefully accepted.

Thanks,

Mark
Attachment 44785Attachment 44784
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.