M1riflenut's sporter got me thinking about a sporter that I repaired for a fellow (small tang crack repair). He recently purchased it and has no knowledge of its origin. The stock was very nicely done, well shaped and checkered with fitted cup style buttplate and inletted swivels. 3 panel checkered forend and wrap-over grip. The metal work is nothing exceptional and I believe the weaver mounts were added much later than the rest of the work. The entire finish is really well worn in the manner of being carried a lot in the field

I would like to arrange to purchase it and restore it to new as-sporter condition. I'd like the challenge of recutting the checkering and refinishing the metal and walnut. Perhaps restoring the sights and plugging the scope mount holes.

My questions are:

1) Does the stock style look familiar to anyone or maybe dateable to a certain time frame? Does it look like a catalogued Bishop or Fajen? Pre WWII perhaps?

2) I cant figure out the make of the rear sight. The slide and some trim are missing. Maybe a Marble-Goss or Lyman variant?

Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.