G'day there. About two weeks ago I decided on my next restoration project: A 1902 I* Long Lee Enfield that has been christened Molly.

I bought the rifle complete with sporterised stock, bent butt-stock bolt, non-matching Lithgowicon Heavy Barrel, plenty of rust, and enough old grease to stop the action from being worked without spraining something.

I meant to start this at the beginning of the undertaking, but have been more concerned with actually doing it than documenting it, so for now I'll get everyone up to speed if you are interested:...

... So far I have stripped it almost entirely, cleaned, removed rust, and polished almost every component ready for re-assembly. I had a lot of fun stuck in a little room full of turps fumes when I first started. I also tracked down a few of the parts I was missing, namely an MLE Nosecap, and dial sight dial and arm 'thing' (I don't know what else to call it) but I am missing the rear flip up peep to go with it. The only other thing I am really missing is a Long Tom barrel and re-fitting a piece of suitable wood to replace what has been cut off at the front of the fore-end and to 'freshen-up' the draws which are non-existent.

Currently I'm cleaning up the wooden furniture and getting ready to repair it. Unfortunately the stock seems to have been refinished at some point in time a long time ago which has now mostly flaked off but left an uncomfortable few shiny spots here and there.

Next step is finding that barrel, rear dial sight peep, and fixing up the stock. I should have gotten pictures of it as I go but I've been distracted. I'll try my best from here on out to keep things updated.

Cheers if anyone wants to follow the ordeal.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.