I recently bought a ross rifle. I have been craving a military surplus rifle. after seeing it at a local gun shop I went home and researched these rifles. I read about how the bolts come out and smack the shooter in the face. I still wanted this rifle mainly because of the sliding bolt action. it was unique to me and for some reason I had to have it. I figured if it can hit a claybird at 75yds at least I can use it for a deer/bear gun for hunting. I also admired the machine work on this rifle since I am a machinist by trade. Just that kinda stuff is cool to me. Well after going back and looking it over again I decided to purchase this rifle. The only thing I knew for certain was its cambering.
It has been about a week and I have been doing a bunch of research. I did shoot the gun and it is accurate enough to hit a 2" bull at 50yds. I believe it is capable of better accuracy if I used something better then umc FMJ rounds. I noticed that the spent casings were blown out larger then a unfired casing. From research I found that many ross rifles were bored out so the ammunition would cycle through them better. I also noticed that on the barrel where the rear sight would be there are two bolt holes that appeared to be filled in with solder and then filed down so it is smooth with the barrel. The two holes are not in line however. But are staggered with one on one side and the other on the other side further forward on the barrel. The gun is actually a 1905 ross. I do not know the serial number however. Mainly because there is none.
As you can see in the pictures there is a really rough peep sight someone installed. Along with the stock modified. The forearm appears to be original but modified by someone earlier in life. As well the front sight does not appear to be original either. What is extremely surprising is that the gun shot on at 50yds. with the crude setup I was expecting something less then spectacular when I walked up to the target. Now that I know that the gun is accurate enough to hunt with I have a few questions.
First off I was wondering if anyone knows what the markings are on this firearm. on the left hand of the barrel forward of the chamber there is what appears to be a seal. At the top of this seal there is a crown with crossed swords. The letter C is visible in the left hand side of the seal and the letter P is visible in the bottom of the seal. There appears to be a letter in the right hand side of the seal but I cannot make it out. Below the seal there is a crown and what appears to be the letter I or the number 1. Below that is either a C or a G. on the back of the bolt there is a set of crossed flags a crown then I believe it is 3 or a 6 and below that is a Q. on the bottom of the bolt there is the number stamped 23. When up push the bolt forward you can read the number 15 on the bolt while it rotates into position to lock the bolt forward. Last but not least there is a crown and the number 9 stamped into the back of the receiver behind the bolt that holds the back of the action tight to the stock. These are the only markings on this gun. I do not know anything more about it.

Now that is all out I have a few questions. I absolutely hate the peep that is on it. I do not know who put it on but it is very crude looking and not to mention there is not adjustment. I was thinking about putting an adjustable peep sight on the gun but was wondering what you guys thoughts were on this project. The goal is to be able to make this a hunting rifle out to 100-150yds. The rifling looks great for a 100year old rifle. The bolt is tight for the machining practices in the day. what are you guys suggestions on how to find a peep sight that will fit on this rifle and or how to modify one to fit on this rifle with some gunsmithing work.

Thanks for any help you guys could provide me. I might end up buying an enfield off my boss if he offers it to me for the right price. we'll see. along with I want a k98 mauser too.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.