I have 2 Carbines I am rebuilding/refinishing right now and I keep looking at the NOS parts I am getting from good reliable vendors. I am talking about triggers, slides, sears, mag release, safeties and any other item that goes on the gun.

When I look at the Parkerized finish on refurbished guns, receiver and barrels that are known ordinance refinished, there is a distinct nice green finish, a zinc phosphate with maybe a chromate bath. The finish almost looks like paint. I have a Winchester Garrand, 2 Winchester Carbines one Inland that all have this finish. The small parts I purchase still in the bag showing US GI purchase and pack are black with no phosphate crystal appearance? They look like black oxide.

Parkerize is a zinc phosphate finish. The finish actually grows on the surface of the metal, it does penetrate a little, but it actually changes the dimensions of the part, black oxide does not, it is a conversion of the surface. Parkerizing is a better finish and protects better, the grains or crystals provide pockets to hole oil and protect the steel. The black oxide is much thinner and provides much less oil holding ability.

In any event, the NOS parts all appear to have black oxide on them? There is no reason to black oxide a part that is intended to be Parkerized.

Are the NOS parts we run into Parkerized or black oxide finished. I am only talking about the GI stuff that can without a doubt identified as GI.

Yesterday I received a Carbine bolt tool to replace an aftermarket bolt tool. The aftermarket tool was OK but a devil to use. The US GI tool works correctly and is Parkerized, without question a green appearing phosphate finish. The aftermarket is black oxide.

Got a W trigger, US GI, today, nice black finish, no grain, no crystal appearance, definitely appears to be black oxide.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.