Ken May
    Local Date
    05-15-2024
    Local Time
    11:50 PM
    CCNL 361 says the change over to 4 rivet started aprox. 5,179,xxx
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

2. The Following 5 Members Say Thank You to Durango56 For This Useful Post:

Last On
    05-13-2024 @ 03:07 AM
    Local Date
    05-15-2024
    Local Time
    07:50 PM
    Thanks!
    Wow, the book is way off, and that is the "new" edition. I always wondered about how many other errors there were and whether it was even worth annotating once I pick up the other two sources.

I was looking at a 5,256,XXX serial number Inland that looked like it had most of the production changes that happened roughly around the 5,000,000 mark and looked pretty unmolested.

4. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    Advisory Panel
    Last On
    @
    Local Date
    05-15-2024
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by Durango56 View Post
    the change over to 4 rivet started aprox. 5,179,xxx
    @AD-4NA,

The earliest 4 Rivet reported to the CC was 5,179,xxx.
    2 Rivet HG'S were still being reported after that.
    We have a lot more information now, then back when War Baby was printed.

There was always an overlap where earlier and the next phased in parts were used until all the earlier were used up, or all that was coming in to Makers now were the later type.

When 'Newer parts' were just starting to be made the supplier more often than not wasn't fully geared up to make just these types. They didn't have the luxury of time like Ford or Chevy to shut down and Re-tool.
    Deliveries were often sent with a mix of earlier and later parts to make a full delivery. No delay in production of carbines was the goal. Especially true when the production of carbines was considered 'Critical'. And ADD Walnut to that Critical list.

Some parts deliveries were delayed getting from the Sub to the Prime because of transport problems such as flooded roads, heavy snow and even Labor issues, etc. We didn't have the Interstate highway systems back then like we have today. Most raw materials were probably shipped by Rail way.
    Requests for lateral support parts when delivered could have been the earlier part at a time the Prime maker was well in to using the Later parts. Same with Sub to Sub parts transfers that ended up going to a Prime maker.

Also take in to account early parts being buried over with later parts.
    Using the 4 Rivet HG example........ Could mean the first Inland reported with this HG was # 5,179,xxx.
    4 Rivet HG's were trickling in and being used as they were dug out of parts bins and storage racks.

With most every part, there was a overlapping 'Transition Period'. Add to this many carbines were not assembled by serial number 'In Order'.

A good rule of thumb: When it comes to the books and Charts, OK to see earlier parts, Questionable to see later parts. Either case needs to be looked at closely for that particular carbine. And the totality of the parts on it.

Nothing went to waste. Any and all parts were used if accepted.
    Wasn't it Rock Ola that was using up their Hi-Wood stocks at the end of their production?
    Or to further confuse things, think about Underwood working on basically 6 serial number blocks in 1944. This includes the Sub contract made receivers from Intertype (T), Universal Windings (W), United Shoe Mfg (S), Singer Mfg (B), and 2 others- Underwood 2 mil and 4 mil serial blocks... And I forgot Underwoods 6 mil block.... So make that 7 Serial number blocks Underwood was working on in 1944.

IMO The Development and Production of the M1icon Carbine would make a great History Channel Documentary
    Would have to be better than what I seen a couple weeks ago about the History of Frozen Dinners and Breakfast Cereals in the US and the Tycoons behind them.

VR,
    Last edited by painter777; 04-12-2021 at 11:05 PM.
    Charlie-Painter777

A Country Has No Greater Responsibility Than To Care For Those Who Served...

6. The Following 10 Members Say Thank You to painter777 For This Useful Post:

Advisory Panel
    Last On
    @
    Local Date
    05-15-2024
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by painter777 View Post
    IMO The Development and Production of the M1icon Carbine would make a great History Channel Documentary
    Would have to be better than what I seen a couple weeks ago about the History of Frozen Dinners and Breakfast Cereals in the US and the Tycoons behind them.
    To Add to Dave HH's point,
    I still think a in depth Development and Production of the Carbine would make a great Documentary. It's such a amazing achievement.... The Development, Organization, Gathering up so many Companies large and small, on and on.

I find it almost comical that today....... 'Everyone' will have at least one 100% Original as issued M1 Carbine. Read any Carbine forum you'll see. 25+ years ago when I got serious about these it was common to hear 99%+ of M1 Carbines had been thru some type of upgrade. I waited and watched for reports of the Midway carbines received by new owners. You couldn't refresh the screen fast enough to keep up with who was looking for what part(s) they needed to Correct it. Endless WTB, WTS WTT
    You paid $$ for it, Pimp em out however you want em.

I've learned to limit myself to:
    Having Extra NOS parts and maintenance parts stocked up.
    Replace a bad part when needed.
    Pull and replace a Fake part.
    Keep the wood and metal oiled.
    Keep plenty of Ammo on hand.
    And enjoy shooting the ones I shoot.

The Past Forums, were a Free for all. Remember the direction the old Gun and Knife forum went? Many followed that fast skid in to the Sh!t pile.

My very first question on a Carbine Forum was:
    'When they rebuilt a Carbine did the maker restamp the box with their initials in it?
    I was F'ing reamed, Called a 'Humper'. I had read enough to know the Carbine had been upgraded. But the stock had no stamped Rebuild stamps on it.
    This was back when I'd get help from the kids to work a computer and we still had dial up.
    A Friendly messaged me after I passed some pictures to him. Yep I had a rebuilt Carbine, but it was in a I cut Hi-wood with one CC and 2 separate boxed IP stamps on either side of the CC. One of the IP stamps had the top of the letters toward the buttplate, the other IP box was oriented correctly.
    Later that picture was shared with the Club. Never did share it on that Forum.

As far as lost members,
    We've lost countless knowledgeable members over the years. David B among others is a great loss to us. I could name dozens whose input I miss.

FWIW

---------- Post added at 05:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jimb16 View Post
    Painter???? Get your first shots???? I had my second in the first week of March! How can you folks be that far behind everyone else? No wonder you have such a high rate of covid there!
    Older Topic Jim,

We got ours in April at our local Pharmacy, we were their 7th and 8th customers (Yea small town). College town near us, many headed to Spring breaks and many are Anti Vac.
    Maybe 3 weeks ago I was able to go in to a local Tractor Supply and not need a mask! Felt like America again
    Charlie-Painter777

A Country Has No Greater Responsibility Than To Care For Those Who Served...

8. The Following 3 Members Say Thank You to painter777 For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread