John,

My response to your post recently might need revising.

I went out to my range this morning while waiting for my partner. We had to trim some horse hooves, including an unbroken stallion with a mare on location in heat. For those who have never tried this endeavor, it is akin to spitting in Dick Butkas' face.

I had two groups of 22 K-Hornet rounds to test. 1st group was a 40 gr V-Max in front of 12 grs IMR 4227 (fire forming load). The second group was the same 40 gr V-Max in front of 13.5 grs IMR 4227. Velocity of the first group averaged 2840 fps, the second group averaged 3140 fps.

I fired the first group first, totaling 13 shots, all right around the Bull. I then fired the second group, 5 shots, and much to my surprise, they grouped several inches below the slower velocity first group.

On this day, with my rifle, the slower bullet impacted higher on target than the faster bullet, all other variables equal.

I am just calling them as I see them, but I was wrong about this one, and I am man enough to admit it.

I tried to load a composite target showing the results, but the file was too large. I intend to repeat the test. I find it confusing to say the least.

The game is still afoot!

Jim
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.