Well someone had to try it. I bought a nicely re-finished (cheap) Russianicon Izzy type M38 with the full intent to see how it would respond to a full house accurizing job. Before the task I checked the headspace and it was just fine then proceeded to shoot it with many different types of mil spec. mil. surplus. Overall it shot groups ranging from 5" to 8" off the hard rest. I found it shot the copper wash stuff the best so I kept a bunch for later use.

I broke down the gun and routed out the barrel channel on the milling machine keeping it as neat as possible. I got it pretty nice around 0.010" over then started on the receiver end I oversized all areas to be bedded including the trigger guard area and proceeded to bed both the receiver and trigger group. While this was setting I lapped in the bolt, polished the chamber and feed area. Then went about playing with the trigger pull. I added a surface ground shim under the sear then match angled the sear to the disconnect also using the surface grinder. Didn't come out half bad considering its a Russian trigger.

Once the bedding was set, I drilled out the rear screw hole and bedded in a steel bushing, a steel .375" rest pin on the receiver flat, cut a 0.005" steel shim in the foreward lug hole and trimmed all bedding foreward of the reciever. I checked all potential contact areas in the barrel channel and there were none, so I oiled the internal areas where I hogged out wood to prevent moisture effecting the barrel influances. I re-assembled the gun and took it back to the range to see how it all went.

It worked smooth as Finnishicon re-builds with a decent trigger, but, the best group I could get was 2.5" off the hard rest the average running around 4". I can't say it was worth the effort, YET. Once I can get my hands on a Sako barrel. I should be able to have a little more fun with it and have one very strange looking gun when I'm done-SDH
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.