Last On
    05-21-2011 @ 09:34 PM
    South of the north pole in the land of falling waters
    Local Date
    06-02-2024
    Local Time
    12:52 AM

Leftover bullets

I finished loading a can of reduced loads using the Lyman 311466 bullet and had a few left over . So , it seemed like a good time to experiment a little . As you know the 311466 is a rounded nose bullet and slips through stuff without much upset .

I got to wondering that a little bit of a flat would help it out on things like woodchucks . Since I had a die in the RCBS lube sizer that would giude it , A .312" I think it was . I set the stop on the sizer so the bullet nose was outside of the die a bit and used a flat punch to make it even . Adjusting a little at a time , I created a flat on the bullet almost two hundred thousanths across . I stopped there because I thought it might not feed well if I kept going .

The bullets were loaded with the same charge I used with the reduced loads and took them out in the backyard to try . They grouped about as well and I think they would have done as well if I'd payed attention to the seating depth and light crimp . The holes in paper definately looked as though it was "cutting" some of the paper out . Perhaps they will be more effective on varmints , it's interesting enough that I think I ought to try it again anyway .

Jack
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

FREE MEMBER
    NO Posting or PM's Allowed
    Last On
    03-17-2018 @ 01:18 AM
    Local Date
    06-01-2024
    Local Time
    09:52 PM
    Another trick you can try is to just use a flat faced "G" die, punch. Set stop so the punch doesn't touch the "H" die and push on the handle. That will flatten the nose. I just did some for my 32 ACP today. Ric

3. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
+ Reply to Thread