Hi there,

Hello looking for some help again, I purchased this 1815 Potsdam Musket, about 20 odd years ago, fairly cheaply in a Garage sale and put it aside for another day, for a re-do back to flintlock. It came with a history, but ?
I have quite a few projects I want to finish and enjoy for a bit. As I'm a lot older now, and not as healthy as I once was, I need to prioritise, if I'm to get any done at all.
With that said, I'm a bit lost on what to do with this one now, as I don't know enough about the Musket type, and or the History of it, to allow for any good judgement. There is a lot of flintlock type, firing pattern pitting on the Barrel, and not so the lock or Hammer.
The stock butt is carved out, for a Big Collar style on a cold day , it's a percussion lock now, which has been fired little, but has collapsed due to neglect and poor storage, so it needs work on the lock anyway.
I can now, do a bit of work again here and there, and really don't want to waste any of my time, so I really need advise before deciding. When I purchased this musket with It being complete and all matching #s,in pretty good condition, nice nut brown barrel and brass fittings, with deep brown mahogany wood, returning it to flintlock didn't bother me, but know its different.
I would really appreciate hearing from anyone with knowledge of the markings on this musket, and if I should return it to flintlock again, vs just cost of repairs, about $500, vs about $300 roughly. Do I return the Barrel to steel again instead of the nut Brown, or leave It.
I'm really clueless here, the flintlock usage and it's markings, do make the Waterloo story believable. The Markings on top of the Butt plate are :-

/O <-- Screw h'd
19 L W R
1 c

Which as I understand, is 1815 issue date, to the 19th Landwehr Regiment, 1st company, so is it a flintlock which was at Waterloo doe this confirm it. If so, I'd like to return it to as it should be. If not I'll fix the percussion lock and sell it on, I have the original bayonet to. Recommendations on this, would be greatly appreciated, as I really don't want to wreck a piece of an others history, thank's.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.