I bought my first Luger at a gun show on Saturday, just before Irene came through. It is a DWM 1917 with all matching numbers, including the magazine and grips. It is about 80% finish and I am guessing it is a WW 1 bring back, although I have no evidence to prove that.

Once the weather had cleared I took it to the range on Tuesday. Accuracy was excellent, but I am experiencing high angle jams. On a full magazine I would get the first shot off and the next round will jam with the bullet completely missing the chamber. I would pull back the toggle and shake that round out and chamber the next one. This would repeat for the first several round. In the end I will have 3 or 4 rounds on the bench. I could then load these back into the mag and they would all fire normally.

My experience with Browning type actions is that a high angle jam is usually caused by a week magazine spring that can't raise the next round quickly enough to be caught be the slide, but I don't know if this applies to a Luger action. Also the magazine spring seems to be pretty strong. I also recall reading that a Luger tends to be a bit picky about ammo. I am using 124 grain FMJ Remington bullets over 8.2 grains of AA 7.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

thanks

Howard
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.