Since I'm studying abroad in Vienna, Austriaicon, I thought it'd be cool to try to pick up some Germanicon militaria for the collection back home. So this morning, while passing by the famous Flohmarkt, I spotted a nice looking Luftschutze helmet sitting on a vendor's table. As the 35 Euro price wasn't ludicrous and I was a little pressed for time, I made the decision to just buy it.

I got back home and studied it further. Looking inside, the liner was in astonishingly good condition.

At first, I was a bit skeptical that perhaps the liner was a post-war replacement, but I was immediately reassured and pleased to find a marking "WERKLUFTSCHUTZLEITUNG G. & W. HELLER, WIEN" stamped on the leather. Plus the sizing/Luftschutze mark is still there. And then I made the mistake of flipping it over.

What a mess. Not only the worst looking sticker I've ever seen on a helmet, but it appears as though a five year old decided to slob black paint over it so he could play Darth Vader. I was pinching myself pretty hard for not looking any closer than I did at the outside. Took it to a collector, and he pretty much confirmed my observations.

So, here's my question to the good members of this forum: should I try my luck at restoring this helmet? At the least, I want to try to remove the ugly sticker, and at the most I would love to take off that layer of glob-like black paint. Does anyone have any recommendations or experience in this field? Is it even wise to attempt such an endeavor without ruining the helmet? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.