My reason for earlier postings in this forum are revealed...with the arrival yesterday of my first Ross, a Mk. II 5*...repatriated from the U.S. (New York State), where, the seller tells me, it has been in his family since his father, a U.S. Navy veteran, acquired it for about $20 just after the Second World War.

[the sling is a QHG (or OHG)-marked leather one I bought a while back on spec]

A scan through the Ross Rifle story, and a review of the 5* listed on the Knowledge Libraryicon here, would show this to be a 5*, though the buttstock is devoid of any stars at all. Nor can I see the Quebec roundel/cartouche.

The markings, according to author David Edgecombe, indicate it "served" with the 3rd Battalion - Victoria Rifles of Canadaicon, 6 Battalion - Hochelaga Light Infantry and 60 Battalion - Canadian Expeditionary Force.

The rifle is complete; a shooter, rather than a collecter as it has a couple of cosmetic flaws, and the bore is good. The seller ran a few rounds of '42 vintage .303 through it before I bought it, so I know it works though it does make the brass a bit round-shouldered (comparative photos to follow).

The rifle is not marked with the U.S. ordnance flaming bomb as I gather it would have been if it was among the 20,000 rifles officially purchased by the U.S., so its route to the U.S. is unknown.

There is one marking I don't understand. It's stamped on the right hand side of the stock, just forward of the mag platform screw.

Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.