Ok, was going to wait til I could get some pics up, but I'm having more computer issues, and I was really eager to get some info on a Martini Enfield that I just bought. It started life as a BSA and M Co MkII, then was converted to .303. Left side of receiver is marked 'VR' then 'Enfield', 1899, then 'ME', then '.303'. After that 'II' then below that 'I'. Pretty standard ME markings.
Also on the left side of the receiver are three Arabic numbers that translate to '222'. There is an Arabic character on the knoxform along with 'E' for Enfield rifling. Buttstock sports a brass disc with Arabic numerals and two unknown Arabic characters. This rifle is in fantastic shape, and shot incredibly well over the weekend. Very tight, not loose at all. No pitting anywhere, Britishicon proof marks all over the barrel. Not a Khyber special at all. Appears to have been rebarreled in 1900. From the research I have done thus far, I have determined that this rifle went to Egypt at some point. But this one has no Citadel markings, just standard MH and ME markings.
Who would have used this rifle? Egyptian police? Possible Arab revolt use at some point? Absolutely love this Martini, would really like to know a little background about it!
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.