Threaded View

Last On
    06-06-2024 @ 02:05 PM
    Local Date
    06-21-2024
    Local Time
    12:17 AM

Lee Enfield Questionables?

OK, Ran this by Doug and he suggested I just run it by you guys. The photos posted to him were too small to read any of the details. I am not sure if these will post any better, but can give it a go.

I have two rifles that I have managed to acquire in the not too distant past. They are two of my favorites. The stories behind them are unknown to me and the sellers didn't seem to have much information for me either.

One is a Savage built No.4. I enjoy these of course, because it was the US effort to assist with Englandicon's war needs in the early days of WWII. Plus, I have a Savage 110 that is my first and favorite hunting rifle. NOT fancy but very efficient and with a GREAT trigger that has never changed over decades of hunting with it. I have always liked Savage rifles. Good service for a good price.

The second (sorry, the photo order actually shows the MkIII first) is a MkIII that I have always been fond of due to my Grandfather's connection/participation as part of the AEF in WWI. Of course they carried '03's or some American rifle, but the MkIII has such a classic look and it is has the nicest lines of any of the versions to me. So when I found this one, even though I knew VERY little about how it came to exist, I wanted it. It has a gorgeous NEW stock and was apparently re-stoved and looks very much like a fresh MkIII, although I am sure the military issue did not have glossed stocks and polished brass butt plates. But the grain in this stock was so pretty, I could not resist. I expected the barrel to be all clapped out and it is fresh and clean as well?? How does a rifle like this come to exist? Were there rebuild programs in England, or would this have been done by private hands? Certainly skilled private hands. It does have an import mark on the right side, rear receiver by Century Arms, but they have been importing for a number of years, correct?

The Savage appears to have a stock addition at some point too. The grain is more course and open, but it is not unpleasing at all. The metal finish looks closer to being original. Almost all the proper parts are square S marked, so I am thinking it is closer to be "original" except for a new stock added at some point. The bore is very good and the trigger is superb! Bolt is like butter. Btw, the bolt on the MkIII appears to have been reblued or newly stoved as well and it is a little stiff compared to the Savage. It works fine, but requires a stiffer slap in both directions to make it move. The Savage can be manipulated with two fingers...like a woman who knows what she likes.

Each of the stocks are numbered with what I THOUGHT might be manufacturing years, for the stocks themselves. They certainly do not match the production years of the guns. Or is it possible that the stocks numbers are merely manufacturers codes? The No. 4 has a homemade sling that was sewn onto the sling loops? I never bothered to remove, but might soon in order to put a proper Lee Enfield Sling on both of these beauties.

I will attach what I can. If you need more pics, let me know. Would love to understand these rifles a little better. Hope somebody may be able to shed some light.

Thank you kindly.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by AmEngRifles; 08-13-2016 at 01:17 AM.

2. The Following 2 Members Say Thank You to AmEngRifles For This Useful Post: