Yup, I'm new here And honestly, I'm not big on milsurps as my username may hint at

BUT ... you all seem to be "the source" for good information from what I have read while lurking and browsing and trying to untangle the confusion I have.

I will freely admit to knowing next to nothing about the M1icon Garand. But I now own one.

My qyestions are:
What do I have?
How original is it?
What's it worth?

Details:
Marked Springfield Armory
SN # 2261xxx
# on Barrel (behind Op Rod) 1-S-A-11-43
# on bottom of Op Rod D 35382-1-SA
# on trigger assembly D 28290-12-sa
# on receiver D 28291 32
# on top of bolt D28287-12SA with S-B7"diamond" stamped below.

On stock:
P (in a circle) behind trigger
I don't see the other marks that should be on the left side above the trigger - I'm guessing they are buried under the years of whatever the waxy/greasy buildup is on the stock. Hesitant to try cleaning to search for them until I know if I'm damaging something valuable or not.

Stock is in "decent" shape, but old & covered in waxy residue, a few small dents and the uper hand guard just forward of the receiver is not matching the rest of the wood.

Rifling is shiny appears to be in very good condition.

I've tried reading about the M1 and how to identify what is what ... but it's all beyond me Long forks, short forks, Modified this andthat ... As this is the only Springfield I've ever seen or held, I really don't know one type/brand/version of part from another.

Would pics help? I have those as well.

I know from the serial number it was made in Nov. of 1943 and could be worth anywhere from $700 to $3000 ... after that, I'm lost
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.