I finished getting my former Winfield Arms "sporter" Johnson returned to military configuration.

Mine was one of the less sporterized models as Winfields can go, but was sporterized nonetheless. The stock had been replaced with one having the ventilated recoil pad and no sling swivel, and the barrel was blued with a banded ramp sight.
My rifle wasn't an as-issued correct one, but it was a lot less money than a correct one and it made me a Johnson owner. Plus, since the receiver had not been drilled/tapped and nothing was ground off, it was reasonably easy to get back to original config.

I sent the barrel and stock assembly off to Joseph Scott in Texas. He swapped out the stock internals to a new-manufactured stock with military buttplate and sling swivel. He also removed the banded ramp front sight and installed a new military front sight and bayonet lug of his manufacture.
Yes, he makes the parts, but no, he isn't trying to fool anyone. For example, pulling the locking pin and pulling the stock assembly off exposes his initials "JS" in the front of the stock.

I got my parts back Thursday night, and had it at the range Friday morning.
So now, if not all-orignal, mine is at least in military configuration.

Here are some before and after pictures:

Stock:
Before-

After-

Barrel:
Before-

After-

I think it looks much better now.
Believe it or not, it shoots better too! Well...I shoot it better anyway. That round-topped bead front sight it came with was killing me. I just couldn't place it on the target consistently. The military flat-topped blade is much easier to see and use.

So if you have a Winfield Arms Johnson that has some sporter "features" and want it back to plain old GI configuration, it can be done. Joseph can do it and he does good work.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.