Hi All
I am just starting restoring what I believe to be a sectionalised SMLE No1 Mk III*, Enfield made. As you can see from the photos, it is in pretty poor condition, with some quite bad pitting on the barrel and receiver, covered in a bad black paint job :-( The plan is to remove the paint, in as gentle a way as possible (I will try paintstripper, but I guess it will come down to wire brushing of some sort). The bolt I believe can be cleaned just using 0000 wire wool and oil, for the stock, there is good advice in this forum, and I will follow that, finishing up with linseed or Tung oil. I will buy a selection of replacement screws from DS Solutions.
What I am interested in is any advice on how to finish the metal parts, once the cleaning is complete. I am looking for a reasonably authentic finish, and while I know some had a black paint finish, I'm not keen on that. The sectionalised parts will of course be painted red, and that may dictate the finish - I will go for matt black paint if I have to use paint.
I am also interested in any comments on the authenticity of the parts - the screw holding the rear of the trigger guard is obviously wrong, the screw holding the safety and the cocking piece look suspicious to me. All comments gratefully received!
Cheers, Tim
Attachment 71480Attachment 71479Attachment 71478Attachment 71481Attachment 71482
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.