Threaded View

Last On
    05-03-2023 @ 12:31 PM
    Local Date
    06-23-2024
    Local Time
    01:37 AM

A British Remington M1903 ...

It's probably good advise, as a general matter, to "buy the gun, not the story," especially when the story is being spun at a gun show and there's the smell of money in the air. But once in a while the story is so entertwined with the gun that you can't so easily dichotomize the two. And this one's pretty straight forward anyway.

Travelling and family medical issues kept me away from the area gun shops earlier this year. When I had more time to get back to some unfinished reloading projects, I found I was short on powder, specifically Varget (yeah, primers I got). So, along about mid-June I wandered into the one shop that gets most of my business.

I always take a peek at their used rifle rack on the way back to the reloading area. On this visit I noticed the rack was packed full. I went on back and got some powder (they actually were very well-stock on Varget), and then came back to the counter.

It was something like a Tuesday afternoon, and there were only two or three other customers milling around. I know most of the staff, young guys mostly, so I asked the one stocking ammo behind the counter, "John," what was up with all the "new" used long guns.

"The economy," he says. "Lay-offs. Also, a couple of estate sales came in. And there's about a dozen old foreign military guns some lady brought in. Her husband stored them in his basement."

It wasn't clear if her batch was one of the "estate sales," but I went over and checked the rack anyway. Lots of consignments: many hunting-type bolt guns, some with scopes and slings, all over-priced. A few Savage rifles which varied in condition. Then, further down the rack, about 8 or 9 rough-looking mil-surp Mausers, some Argentineicon, IIRC. There were two .303 #4 Lee Enfields and several Mosin rifles. Next to them was one of those FN .308 precision bolt rigs that someone wanted $2000 for (no scope on that one).

Anyway, partly blocked by a couple of shotguns was this beat-up piece of crap pretending to be a bolt action mil-surp with ugly red paint smeared on the upper handguard.

I looked at the tag. First line: "M1903." Below it: "$500." On the back of the tag (hand-written): "No Warranty." I walked back over to John, still restocking ammo.

"I'm not getting this. What's up with the "No Warranty" on the 1903?"

"Low serial number Springfield. Some had metalurgy problems and we don't want the liability from people shooting full-power '06 loads. Probably would be fine as a cast shooter, though."

I went back over and looked at the thing again. The stock was worn and dirty, but no cracks. Outside of the barrel back from the muzzle was pitted up pretty bad. The barrel was real dirty but the crown was intact. Sights looked tight. I already had a Remington 03A3, so I thought a 1903 might make a nice sibling, ... sort of.

Then I looked at the receiver:

U.S.
    Remington
    Model 1903

Of course, all 1903s are Springfields, right?

"How long's it been here?"

"At least two months, maybe longer. It came in with the Enfields and the Mausers. Nothings moving."

Then he says: "Make an offer, if you interested."

So I did. (Specifics withheld at the risk of being called a thief ).

The boss wasn't available right then so I left my number with John.

Afternoon of the next day, the phone rang. I half expected full-auto profanity, or at least harsh language, but when I heard "it's yours," I couldn't get there fast enough with the cash.

Once home with it, I spent the next two days cleaning the barrel and then some portion of the following two carefully cleaning up the rest of it.

More pics follow in the next post, but don't expect much, as they're not that great.

FWIW, the info and links on this board proved very helpful in making meaningful headway on the Remington 1903-learning curve. In particular, I found Rick the Librarianicon's "primer" on his Brit-Rem M1903 (#3024801) to be an informative "check list" in going over mine. Very nice write-up, Rick.

Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by Nick Adams; 08-09-2009 at 09:22 PM.
    Old School is still Cool ...

2. The Following 10 Members Say Thank You to Nick Adams For This Useful Post: